When clients invite me into their homes to help with their remodeling process, they usually express concern about how to pull the entire process together. Most don’t know where to start. A bathroom remodel requires a time and financial investment which will last for many years….one that will be well worth the update.
Bathroom Hardware Video
Bathroom Lighting Video
I suggest that we brainstorm first…just discuss options and “wish list” …no need for final decisions. I want to understand how the bathroom is used and what’s important to each person using the room. As we review their bathroom, we’ll discuss colors and material suggestions, popular designs and updates. This helps the owner move toward a look that will fit into their home. Even though there is a central look and color scheme that is popular today, it still needs to fit with the individual’s taste and preferences.
Remodeling a Master Bathroom from the 1980′s
Many homes built in the 1980′s were updated with large Jacuzzi tubs as the focal point and small stall showers tucked in the corner. These tubs are rarely used today. The questions center on how to enlarge the shower and even minimize the tub. There are some typical approaches; however, it does depend on the room available.
Some Popular Design Ideas
- A seamless flow of the same tile from floor into shower and around the Jacuzzi tub
- Large tiles in the shower and even larger ones on the floor
- Small grout lines with grout color matching the tile
- Frameless glass around the shower- get rid of the metal!
- Air Bubble or Jetted Tubs with heaters
- Remove wallpaper; texture and paint in neutral colors
- Paint or darken the stain on light-colored cabinets
- Granite or marble with undermounted sinks
- Framed mirrors
- Remove the gold fixtures: plumbing, lighting, hardware
Keep in mind that each remodel must fit your interest and budget. It is highly personal. Invest some time and effort in making the decisions and your end result should bring you much joy and pleasure as well as increase the value of your home.